limits go into effect on flights - Africa News Quick
  • July 14, 2021

limits go into effect on flights

“Many Australians on the ground don’t seem to understand that if I don’t have a visa here I can’t work, which makes things worse financially and for the Australian government to tell us ‘ask family and friends for money’ is a shame. “

Around 34,000 Australians have registered with DFAT as stranded abroad.Credit:fake images

Marotta says that she is now financially dependent on her boyfriend until she can catch a flight home, something she says she is grateful for.

But she says she shouldn’t be forced into this situation as a result of Australia’s policies.

Britain’s Home Office has been issuing visas for Australians or citizens “where a nation has closed its borders or where quarantine facilities are temporarily overloaded” following a request from the Australian government last year.

Australians in Britain are quoting fares of $ 10,000 for flights home in September.

The federal government has said it will increase the number of Qantas repatriation flights flying to Howard Springs to 29 as a way to offset some of the bumps and cancellations that Australians returning home are already experiencing.

A Qantas repatriation flight leaving London for Howard Springs later this month was sold out in just three minutes when tickets went on sale last week.

An Emirates flight to Perth, Australia in May 2021 showing empty seats as a result of flight limits.

An Emirates flight to Perth, Australia in May 2021 showing empty seats as a result of flight limits.

An American Airlines spokeswoman said 20 empty flights would fly from Los Angeles to Sydney over the next two months.

“On certain days in July and August, the Australian government has reported that we are unable to transport customers en route due to the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic,” the spokeswoman said.

“We will communicate with customers scheduled to travel on the affected flights to offer alternative arrangements.”

There are currently no direct flights between LAX and Sydney available until August 30 after next week and American Airlines is not accepting new bookings for AA-operated flights until January.

Empty check-in terminals at Sydney International Airport.

Empty check-in terminals at Sydney International Airport.Credit:Janie Barrett

Barry Abrams of the Board of Australian Airline Representatives (BARA) said the government’s Qantas-operated repatriation flights would do nothing to clear the growing backlog of Australians trying to return home.

“They would probably bring around 1700 passengers and we have passed most of the 20,000, so it is a very small increase that they can realistically make given the large number that we are crashing,” he said.

Charging

Cuts in flight limits mean that on Wednesday, a total of 237 people are expected to arrive in New South Wales compared to 447 last Wednesday according to data provided by BARA.

The number of cargo-only flights, or completely passengerless flights today, has risen to 16 from 11 last week, meaning they now outnumber those carrying Australians.

Abrams said that if the caps continue at their reduced rate beyond Aug. 31, airlines would start withdrawing flights or leave Australia entirely.

“The expected result of halving arrival limits and zeroing a number of flights is, unsurprisingly, a sustained reduction in incoming passenger flights and an increase in cargo-only flights,” he said. .

Abrams said many airlines had not yet pulled out of Australia because flights were scheduled months in advance, including roster and flight crew pay.

But he said this could change after August 31, when the national cabinet decides whether to continue with the lowered caps for the next few months and possibly the rest of the year.

“That will be a trigger for them to start re-evaluating these flights quite carefully,” he said.

“So it might be more commercially rational for airlines to even stop some of the cargo flights just because there might be opportunities to use them correctly as passenger jets for countries that are gradually reopening, like in Europe.”

Abrams asked governments to show what evidence they have that reducing the number of people allowed in Australia will substantially reduce the risk of a COVID outbreak.

“We have not yet seen any research or evidence on how cutting the limits substantially reduces the risk of COVID,” he said.

New South Wales will continue to bear the heaviest load of Australians returning from quarantine, accepting 1,505 per week with Queensland in second place, accepting 650 arrivals, followed by 500 and 265 from Victoria in WA and South Australia.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *