Home Blog Cases related to a new outbreak in Victoria rise to 26 as Phillip Island exposure sites are added

Cases related to a new outbreak in Victoria rise to 26 as Phillip Island exposure sites are added

0

A parent of a Ballarat Clarendon College student also tested positive for COVID-19, forcing the entire school community of nearly 2,000 students and staff to isolate themselves.

It is the third school west of Melbourne to be linked to the current state outbreak.

Two Multiplex construction sites in Melbourne’s CBD were also closed on Friday after an engineer who had attended both sites tested positive for the virus.

It is not known if any of these three infections is a new or previously announced case.

COVID-19 Response Commander Jeroen Weimar also said that one of Friday’s new cases is a family contact of Barwon Heads’ COVID-19 positive teacher who attended a MCG soccer game with an Ariele resident. Apartments that was infected.

All Bacchus Marsh Grammar cases are colleagues of the Barwon Heads professor.

Young & Jackson’s.Credit:Penny stephens

There are now a total of four cases associated with the CGM event, including the latest case in a man in his 20s from Point Cook who works at the Sanctuary Lakes Hotel. CGM cases reported Thursday included a 10-year-old boy, a man in his 20s from Montmorency and the Trinity Grammar teacher.

There were also two recent cases of men, both in their thirties, associated with the Young & Jackson pub in the CBD. Weimar said one of those lives on a naval base, a member of HMAS Cerberus on the Mornington Peninsula, southeast of Melbourne.

Both cases were unknown to each other and did not know the index case.

He also said that the new cases identified in the MCG “were not known, they did not sit together, they did not know the index case. [a man in his 60s from the Ariele apartment complex] or your friend ”.

“We are back in the world of fleeting transmission that occurs,” he said.

A hotel quarantine case was also recorded on Friday.

Charging

The new cases came as Victoria entered a fifth confinement that restricts residents to a five-kilometer bubble around their homes.

Victorians now have five reasons to leave home: to get essential food or supplies, for two hours of exercise, and to care, work licensed or get vaccinated.

33,129 COVID-19 test results were processed in the 24 hours to midnight Thursday, and more than 17,188 people received their vaccine doses from state authorities.

The list of exhibition sites grows

More than 30 exhibit sites were added on Friday, including about a dozen Phillip Island locations.

There are now over 150 exhibition sites, 1500 close contacts and 5000 secondary contacts in Victoria.

Other sites in Richmond, Hawthorn and Essendon were also added to the list on Friday.

Queensland closes the border with Victoria

Queensland will close its border with Victoria starting Saturday, Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced.

Anyone entering Queensland from Victoria after 1am on Saturday will spend two weeks in hotel quarantine.

Rush hour at Flinders Street Station on the first closing day.

Rush hour at Flinders Street Station on the first closing day. Credit:Penny stephens

Palaszczuk said Friday morning that the situation was moving quickly and wished Victoria the best.

“I think the clear message to Queenslanders is definitely don’t go to New South Wales and don’t go to Victoria during this period of time,” he said.

Other states and territories rushed to close their borders on Thursday: Tasmania closed its border entirely, while South Australia and the Northern Territory will enforce a 14-day quarantine for all visitors to Greater Melbourne and Geelong.

The blockade can be lifted earlier in the Victoria region

On Friday, Andrews also raised the possibility that regional Victorians could get an earlier exit from the state’s five-day lockdown.

“It may not be possible. If they don’t tell me it’s safe, I won’t, ”he said.

Enterprise Support Package Announced

An agreement was reached Thursday night between the federal and Victorian governments on financial support for the latest shutdown.

The state government will provide payments of $ 3000 and $ 2000 to 90,000 companies that are again being affected by the blockade.

Andrews said the state government would pay the bill for support in areas outside of the federally declared hotspots.

Individuals and businesses in the hotspot areas, which include Greater Melbourne, Geelong and the Surf Coast, will receive assistance from the federal government under the same rules as the NSW scheme announced by the prime minister earlier this week.

The state would also make available a $ 200 million business support package.

“We are looking to make automatic payments. [If businesses got a] grant last time, you will get a grant this time, and you will get that money, we will almost certainly pay it back before the end of this lockdown, probably early next week, “he said.

Premier Daniel Andrews on Friday.

Premier Daniel Andrews on Friday.Credit:Getty / Robert Cianflon

Stay on top of the most crucial developments related to the pandemic with the Coronavirus Update. Subscribe to the weekly newsletter.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here