However, he admitted that the escalation of the situation in New South Wales, coupled with the threat of the highly infectious Delta variant, might require a cautious move to break out of the blockade.
“We will have to consider all of that. Certainly, Delta is more contagious. It puts everything on the razor’s edge in many ways, ”said Professor Sutton.
Foley warned Victorians to expect some new cases among the 23,000 close contacts who are currently isolated across the state. About 4,000 were due to complete their tests on the 13th this weekend along with another 8,000 during the week.
There are currently 10 cases in Victoria hospital, with three people in intensive care. One person is connected to a fan.
More than 39,800 test results were delivered on Friday, with 19,281 doses of vaccine administered at state clinics.
Victoria has 169 active cases, including 159 related to outbreaks planted in Sydney.
An Italian restaurant in Fitzroy was added as a Level 2 exhibit site Saturday after the LaCrosse building in Docklands and an apartment complex on Riversdale Road in Hawthorn were included Friday night.
The newly added exposure sites are all level 2, which means that anyone who was present at the same time must isolate themselves until they receive a negative test. There are now more than 400 entries. on the list.
CBD Apartment Building Undergoing Deep Cleaning
Residents of the LaCrosse building on La Trobe Street have been told to isolate themselves until further notice after a positive case spent time there.
The apartment building has been listed as an exhibition site for the entire last week until Friday at 11:59 pm. The site is now undergoing a deep cleaning of common areas.
Health Director Brett Sutton said that while it was “particularly challenging” for people to isolate themselves for 14 days, it was a major sacrifice for the good of all Victorians.
“Residents will be contacted throughout the day to give them time to attend an pop-up testing clinic that is being set up to test residents of the building,” said Professor Sutton.
Professor Sutton also noted that there were strong sewage virus readings in Glenroy, Hadfield, Oak Park, and Pascoe Vale for July 21-22.
He said there were some people who had returned to that area from the red zones, and urged people with symptoms in those northern Melbourne suburbs to get tested as soon as possible.
Meanwhile, at least 1,000 anti-blockade protesters arrived in Melbourne’s CBD on Saturday as simultaneous demonstrations were taking place in other capital cities.
Late Friday night, Victoria’s Health Director Brett Sutton declared all of New South Wales an “extreme risk zone,” meaning Victorians can only return from that state with a valid exemption or permit.
The decision to update NSW travel status was delayed until 9pm on July 9. Red zone statements for the ACT, Norfolk Island and South Australia remain unchanged.
“If people enter Victoria from an extreme risk area without an exemption, they will be put on a return flight or placed in mandatory hotel quarantine for 14 days. Waivers will only be granted in exceptional circumstances, ”the department said in a series of tweets.
“Victorians returning from a red zone who have been in an extreme risk zone in the last 14 days can only enter Victoria with an exemption, exception or other valid permit, such as a specific worker permit.”
Eleven of the 14 new local Victoria cases announced Friday morning were isolated during their infectious period, a result that Prime Minister Daniel Andrews called “very encouraging.”
NSW records 163 new local cases, an additional death from COVID-19
NSW reported 163 new locally acquired cases in the latest reporting period, the highest daily count from the last outbreak. There was also a new death associated with the latest outbreak.
New South Wales Health Minister Brad Hazzard said 45 of the new local cases were infectious in the community.
“What it’s telling us is that we have a continuing and growing problem, particularly in the southwest and west of Sydney,” Hazzard said.
Hazzard also said he was “disappointed” with the response from other Australian states to his request for more Pfizer vaccine, and that New South Wales now faces the greatest need in the country.
He urged other state leaders to share their supply of the Pfizer vaccine, noting that his state had borne the burden of hotel quarantine.
Hazzard said that last year, when Victoria was “in trouble” with a major outbreak, health personnel from New South Wales were dispatched to help and “risked their lives” to help extinguish the large number of cases.
“I just want to emphasize that, from my point of view, I listened with disappointment to some of the responses from leaders of other states.
“I can’t see the difference between beating the negative effects and fighting back and tackling the flood issues, and defeating this COVID virus which could actually, if it gets worse here in New South Wales, create massive problems for the entire country.
“I certainly ask the other leaders in our other states to reflect on that, because we need the Pfizer that they can have that they don’t have a great need for right now.”
In response to Mr. Hazzard’s comments, Mr. Foley said that the Commonwealth was “extremely cooperative in nature” and that any unassigned vaccine stock should go to New South Wales.
“I’m sure it reflects the position of all of us that if there is an allocated stock, it should go to the area of greatest need. And in that sense, I think it’s quite difficult to argue that the area of greatest need is New South Wales. “
However, he was adamant that all Pfizer supply that had already been delivered to Victoria had been allocated and therefore could not be redirected to New South Wales.
“I don’t think New South Wales or any other state or territory expects that [supply them with already allocated vaccines] because they are assigned, that would mean canceling the appointments, “he said.
“I am sure I speak on behalf of all Victorians and all of our healthcare professionals – we want to thank New South Wales, South Australia and Western Australia for what they all did in the depths of our second wave outbreak.
“Having said that, what we have is a vaccine shortage for at least the rest of July and August before it starts to increase in September. Everything is assigned. “
Professor Sutton later said that it might be worth considering shipping vaccines to New South Wales if this would slow down COVID-19 over time.
Professor Sutton said that while reassigning the vaccines to NSW was not a decision for him, he would be “happy to support” NSW in any way that he could.
PM promises additional doses of Pfizer for NSW
The federal government will provide an additional 50,000 doses of the Pfizer vaccine to New South Wales next week.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke with New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian on Friday to inform her that additional doses were on the way.
Those doses are in addition to the 150,000 AstraZeneca and 150,000 Pfizer doses presented by the federal government for New South Wales in recent weeks. Ms. Berejiklian had asked other states on Friday to send doses to her state, but that request was flatly rejected.
The country’s leading group of immunization experts said Saturday that all adults in Greater Sydney should now “seriously consider” taking the AstraZeneca vaccine as soon as possible, in a major departure from its previous advice.
The Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunization said that due to the increasing risk of COVID-19 and the shortage of Pfizer, adults of all ages should consider receiving “any available vaccine,” including AstraZeneca.
With James Massola, Pallavi Singhal, Cassandra Morgan, Roy Ward
Stay on top of the most crucial developments related to the pandemic with the Coronavirus Update. Subscribe to the weekly newsletter.