The Ascent is a fun cyberpunk-themed shooter, but it was released with some performance issues. The most notable was a strange disparity between the Windows Store version of the game and the Steam version, but overall stability has been an issue as well. If you keep having problems, there is a new patch out now.
Stuttering and hooking are the two biggest performance culprits and both are addressed in Patch 2 for both DirectX 11 and 12 users. Various unspecified bugs have been fixed, while bugs related to the disappearance of weapon skins, character t-shirts, and gear.
Here’s the full list (or check it out at Steam here):
Performance (Steam and Win10 PC)
- DX12 is now the default for Windows Store players.
- DX11 now supports the Windows Store.
- Made improvements to reduce stuttering and jerking, for DX11 and DX12, work will continue here for future updates.
- Ray Tracing is set to ‘off’ by default on all platforms
- Improved Hot Joining loading times on Steam and XB family devices, work will continue here for future updates
Stability (all platforms)
- Fixed various crashes in Single Player and Coop.
- Save progress (all platforms)
- Fixed an issue where weapon skins could be lost.
- Fixed an issue where character shirts could be lost.
- Fixed an issue where equipment could be lost
- Fixed an issue where Client items could be unequipped when a Host disconnected within a level lift
- Fixed an issue where clients could lose their save progress when fast traveling under certain circumstances
Gameplay (all platforms)
- Fixed the issue where sometimes a FullChrome would not appear in ‘Mutual Dependencies’ (Mission 2)
- Fixed an issue where ‘Sell all duplicates’ would work incorrectly
- Changed the frequency of Kira lines when killing civilians (will now trigger less frequently)
Achievements (all platforms)
- Fixed an issue with the ‘Added Extras’ achievement
- Fixed an issue with the ‘Hobbyist’ achievement
- Fixed an issue with the ‘Helping Hand’ achievement
- Fixed an issue with the ‘Win’ achievement
- Fixed an issue with the ‘Fair Trade’ achievement
Translation (all platforms)
- Minor bug fixes in other languages
- Please note that we are still working to improve the quality of the translation in all languages.
Other fixes (all platforms)
- Fixed several reported minor collision issues