Elie Mystal is back at The Brief to talk about Texas anti-abortion law and how we can fight it
September promises to be exhaustingly packed. In Congress, we have, well, all of this:
SEPTEMBER AT CAPITOL HILL
• Government funding expires September 30
• A fight for the debt limit is looming
• Flood / surface transp insurance
• House infrastructure deadline 9/27
• Democrats write a bill for $ 3.5T
• Vote for the right to abortion
• Ida / UI / eviction assistance?
• Committee of January 6https://t.co/8q0e3hcYQM
– Sahil Kapur (@sahilkapur) September 7, 2021
Democrats have a full to-do list, but conservative Democrats Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Kirsten Synema of Arizona are restless and grumpy. What can Democrats really accomplish in a Senate where their margin of error is zero? Daily Kos senior writer Joan McCarter will be joining us for the first half of the show to talk about all of this.
Meanwhile, Texas just passed the most restrictive anti-abortion law in the country, and the Supreme Court allowed it to be enforced as the law works its way through the court system. For the second half of the program, Elie mystal will join us. He is the justice correspondent of The nation. and one of the most interesting and fun guests in the business. If only this topic was fun.
You can watch the show live on Tuesdays at 1:30 PM PT / 4:30 PM ET, but I find that it is not always the most convenient. So the podcast is a great alternative. It airs on Wednesday mornings at all the usual venues, including Apple podcasts and Spotify. A complete list of places to download the program is available here.